09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Monday, September 24, 2012

Nuts and twigs


I have been making granola at home the last few months.
(I think of Wilford Brimley when I see granola.  If you are younger than about forty-five you might not know what I'm talking about. lol)

It's easy.  I read several recipes on the internet and just made up my own from there.


Mix together in a large bowl:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil (yes, olive oil is OK.  This last batch I used half of each, but I have used just olive oil and it was fine)
1/4 cup brown sugar

Then mix in:

3 cups oatmeal.  I used part oatmeal and part multigrain cereal shown in the photo.
Nuts of your choice and the amount of your choice.  Unsalted is better.  I use plain almonds, sumflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.  Walnuts are good for you also.

Mix this well until everything is coated.  The cereal will create lumps with the honey mixture so just keep breaking them up until it is consistent in texture.


Spread on baking sheet.

Bake at 275 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Stir at least one time during the 20 minutes.

NOTE:  It will be sticky after the twenty minutes.  Don't put it back in the oven or it will get too brown.  It will get dry after it cools.

Allow to cool on pan.

Add dried fruit of your choice after it is cool.

Pack and in keep in freezer.  I use canning jars.




And in my bowl with plain greek yogurt, honey, and cinnamon, dried cranberries and apricots. I just add dried fruit to my bowl each time rather than to the entire batch.  Of course, I stirred it up before eating, but spared you a photo since it isn't that appetizing to look at.




10 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

I've tried a similar recipe. so love the idea of almonds in the mixture. looks extra yummy. thanks for the idea. big hugs. (:

Annie Jeffries said...

This looks soooo good and the idea of using canning jars for storage and freezing is brilliant. I'll try that.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

This looks so delicious! I just might have to make some. Great idea for freezing it.

MadSnapper said...

drooling on the keyboard, i love granola from the health food store, it is in barrels and looks a lot like this,

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This looks so yummy and healthy, too!

Anonymous said...

My husband loves granola! Your photos are so good; makes me hungry just looking!

Gail Dixon said...

That looks so healthy and fresh! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I'm gonna try it. :)

Kathy said...

This looks and sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Looks good! I've got a granola pin or two but I'm gonna try this. I think the girls could put a bag in their backpack to make it between class/meals.

Kranky Granny said...

This is something I will have to consider doing given how much of it we buy.

Wonder if it can be made sugar free?