09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What's going on with my family



Where to start.  The beginning, I suppose.

My husband has cancer.  We found out on September 5, 2012.   According to the ENT (ear, nose, and throat), it appears to be Stage 3 or 4 which is typical for a squamous cell carcinoma on the base of the tongue.  The biopsy indicated that it is a cancer that responds well to treatment and is relatively slow growing.  That bit of news made us feel so much better.

We are scheduled for Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee on September 27.  My husband insists that we will carry on with our normal routines until we can’t.  That means he goes to work, our son goes to college, and I do whatever it is that I do every day.  So far, my days have been bleak.  There is no shortage of chores around here to keep me occupied, but getting started each day is a challenge.

I will spare you the gory details of this cancer as you can search and find all sorts of details for yourself if you are interested.  I have done too much research and have vowed to stop.  Our case will be its own.  My husband has none of the other diseases that plague our nation these days.  He is not overweight, has great blood pressure, eats well, stays active, and all these things will go far in his withstanding treatment and recovery.

He is scheduled to retire next summer.  He has a thing he says about it.

The 4 G’s.
Golf.  Garden.  Gourmet.  Gone fishin’.

I have made a page (top right) where I will try to provide updates after our initial visit at Vanderbilt.  No guarantees on the frequency, extent, etc., of said updates, but I will try to keep it current.  It will be easier than trying to email so many thoughtful and concerned friends.  As far as visits from me, posts, and comments through this whole nightmare, I have no guarantee on those either.  I certainly hope everyone understands.

Please send positive thoughts our way.

Thank you,
Amy

















19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sad to learn about your husband. I will be praying for him, for you, your son and the medical professionals at Vanderbilt.
I appreciate you sharing with us, your blog friends. The prayers, love and support of blog friends during my husband's recent surgery were such a blessing to us. I truly believe that God puts people in our paths that have walked a similar journey.
I will continue to carry you in my heart and prayers throughout the days and hope that you can update us as time allows. God bless, Mildred

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad you decided to share, Amy... Blog friends are so special --and can provide you with some hope and love....

I will pray for your husband and also for you and the family. May God Bless all of you. Vanderbilt is an excellent place to go..

Hugs and Prayers,
Betsy

Pamela Gordon said...

Amy, I am so very sorry to hear about your husband's illness and will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers in the weeks ahead. God bless you both with His peace and strength and may He bless your dear husband with His healing touch. Pamela

MadSnapper said...

thank you Amy for this update and that is a great idea to have the page we can all go to and check up. it will be easier on you to. I am already praying for you and your husband and will continue to. i did not know that type cancer can be in the throat. i have had 3 of those, one on forearm, shoulder and hair line, but this is the first i have heard of it being on the tongue. thanks for sharing with us and hugs to all of you.

Meghan said...

Sorry to hear about this. Vanderbilt is a great hospital and I hope your husband has a speedy recovery.
Sending best wishes and prayers your way!

Deanna said...

I am so sorry to learn that your husband has cancer. Just the name always gives me a feeling of panic so I am sure you are feeling that panic and fright and everything that goes with Cancer. I am glad to hear it is very treatable and slow growing and hopefully your lives will continue as normal as possible while you battle this together. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband and family. May God be with you on this journey!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Thanks for sharing Amy. That's a good idea to add a page for updates.
I am praying for good results for your husband so he can retire and enjoy his 4 G's. Praying for strength for you too as you go through this together.
Hugs, Barb

Cranberry Morning said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Amy, and your husband, as you begin on this journey you didn't choose. Blessings. And there will be lots of people praying for you guys.

Kathy said...

I think it is so wise of you to share this kind of information with your blogging buddies. Just to write the words and then breathe a sign of relief that now I've said it can be a big stress-reliever. We all will give you the support and love and prayers we can. Thank goodness you have a wonderful medical facility near you to guide you in fighting this battle. Continue to share your wonderful photos with us when you can, and when you can't, we'll understand.

With love and good wishes,
Kathy

Brian King said...

That's devastating news! I'll definitely be keeping your husband and family in my prayers. It's hopeful knowing the cancer responds to treatment and hopefully this will and he can beat it.

Unknown said...

That's right the good health and positive attitude will go a long way toward more good health. I love the 4G's todo list. Make that 7 Gs...Give God the Glory! You are in my thoughts and prayers. We should go crawl around Daddy's barn again sometime this fall!

Judy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Amy, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all in this trying time. It sounds like your husband has a lot going for him. May God Bless and keep you through this journey.

Carolyn said...

Oh geez Amy, Please know that your friends out here in blogland are sending lots of loving thoughts and prayers to your family.

Cathy H. said...

So sorry to hear about your husband! I'm glad you shared with us here, so we can keep you and your family in our prayers!

Gail Dixon said...

Amy, I think it's good that you shared this on your blog. Now you have an even wider range of faithful people praying for you and your husband. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Godspeed and God bless!

Linda/patchwork said...

Amy,
So sorry about this. He sounds like he has a great attitude about it, though. That means so much.
Your husband and you and your boy will be in my prayers.
God bless all of you...

Kranky Granny said...

Amy, you have my prayers and support. I have placed your intentions on the pray list at both of my brother's churches (both are priest) and our private family list as well.

You know how to reach me if I can ever be of any type of service. Do not hesitate to ask.

Rose said...

Oh, Amy, just now seeing this. I am so sorry for you guys.

I just have been such an on/off blogger of late...

Roan said...

Vanderbilt is one of the best. Keeping your husband, you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.