09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Corn, barley, and rye



My husband and I wanted to take a day trip before he starts more chemo.  We went to Lynchburg, Tennessee, the home of the Jack Daniel Distillery.  Jack Daniel's is the highest selling American whiskey in the world.  We had been on the tour before, and have been to Lynchburg a few times, but it is a good day trip and not too long a drive.

In our tour group of about 15 people, there were folks from Canada, Venezuela, Pennsylvania, and three men from southern California who were there to purchase a batch of select single barrel.

I don't remember all the details about the process and could not hear the tour guide very well much of the time.  Plus, I'm just not that interested so my attention span wasn't very good.
I was more into to looking than listening.



The packaging room was the only indoor building where we were allowed to take photos.  We lucked up and got there just as they were starting to package a special Single Barrel batch.




Bottle filling




This special batch gets a brass tag on each bottle.




The single barrel is the barrel at the topmost location in one of the 80 plus barrel warehouses in the town of Lynchburg.  Something about the conditions at the top of the warehouse make that whiskey special.




You too, can have your own select single barrel bottled for a mere $12,000.  I believe the guide said that is 400 bottles . . .  I may have that wrong.  It doesn't sound like enough money per bottle.






The above is the furnace where those Sugar Maple wood pallets are turned into the charcoal which is used for removing impurities from the product.

The Jack Daniel Distillery is in Moore County, Tennessee, which is a dry county.
You can't legally buy alcoholic beverages anywhere in the county.
However, there are hundreds of thousands of gallons of whiskey in the county at any given time.


The Moore County Tennessee Courthouse.

For those of you who are wondering . . .  yes, we did eat lunch at Miss Mary Bobo's.  For those of you who do not know, Miss Bobo's is a family style "restaurant" in an old boarding house owned by the Jack Daniel Distillery.  Reservations are coveted, especially on weekends, mostly for the experience. The experience is a good one, as you get to eat family style around a large table with a hostess and ten or so strangers.  Our table mates were good ones, also from around the U. S.
I can recommend it for the experience, but not necessarily for the food.
Credit card required to make a reservation.
Yep, even the 3-digit code on the back.
They are proud of what they have to offer.
The distillery tour is free unless you want the tasting tour, which I believe, is $10/person.







6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

well, you certainly made me crave a swig. :) nice bottles on that special barrel, too.

Rose said...

Interesting post...I would be there more for the looking. Roger would listen....

Was more chemo always in the plan? I cannot remember. I hope it is not bad news.

Roan said...

I've wanted to take this tour for a long time. Every time I go to Tennessee to visit son I think we'll make it, but never do. I think I'll skip the $12,000 bottle, but wouldn't mind a little nip of the cheap stuff.

MadSnapper said...

i am with you on guided tours, and it doesn't matter what i am touring, i like to look and snap or just look... i like the first shot of the barrels and the one of the single bottle is my favorite...

A Colorful World said...

What a fabulous place to visit! I'd love to go there some time. I'm sorry to hear your hubby has to go through chemo.

Mitzi said...

What a beautiful place for a get away!